St. Philip’s In The Hills Episcopal Church was founded in 1936.
When the first service was held on Christmas Eve, the congregation overflowed the seating capacity.
St. Philip’s was built in Spanish Colonial architecture, similar to the Franciscan mission churches built in California over 400 years ago. Tucsonans John and Helen Murphey had asked architect Josias Joesler to build a private chapel for them at their home. Instead, he persuaded them to build a small church at the corner of two dirt roads: Campbell and River.
Although it has undergone several expansions as the congregation grew, the integrity of Joesler’s design has been maintained in the buildings. In the mid-1980s, an art gallery, a memorial garden, the east and west transepts and a campanile, which houses the carillon, were added. During the summer of 1998, a Children’s Center and Recital Hall were built. Our Church building is now on the National Register of Historic Places.
George Ferguson, the founding Rector of St. Philip’s, envisioned a place where beauty dwelt, where the glory of God was exemplified, and where learning (for children, youth, and adults) was an ever-present part of people’s lives.
Today St. Philip’s is a large, active parish known not only for its worship, music, and art, but also for its inclusiveness, its educational programs, and its outreach to the community.